The code contains the following important principles:
- Child labour shall not be utilised.
- Employment shall be freely chosen.
- The right to a healthy and safe working environment.
- The right to freedom of association.
- Living wage.
- Working hours shall not be excessive.
- Harsh or inhumane treatment is prohibited. Unfair discrimination is prohibited.
- Regular employment shall be provided.
- Worker's housing and tenure security rights will be respected.
The code is based on the International Labour Conventions' ETI base code and South African legislation, and sets out in more detail what each of the above principles entails within the agricultural context.
Download the complete WIETA Code of Conduct (English)
Download the complete WIETA Code of Conduct (Afrikaans)
Download the WIETA Housing Standards 2014 (English)
Download the WIETA Housing Standards 2014 (Afrikaans)